Captain John Arthur Cullum, MC and bar, CdeG(Fr), MD, CM, LRCP&S(Edin), late the 28th (Northwest) Battalion CEF, was born in Wellington Co., Ontario, on 6 February 1879. His father, Michael, who had emigrated from Ireland in 1834, came west from Wellington Co., with a son, Thomas, arriving by foot and ox cart near what is now the Condie Game Preserve north and west of the then town of Regina in July of 1882.
His brother, Charles, came out by train in the fall of that year and he was followed by another brother, William, the eldest son, in 1883. The following year, John Arthur, then five years of age, arrived with his mother and six sisters. Following completion of his elementary and secondary education, at the age of eighteen Cullum left home to study medicine at the University of Toronto and graduated with degrees from Toronto as well as from Edinburgh, Scotland. On his return to Regina in 1905 he established a general medical practice and with a colleague, Dr. D.S. Johnstone, opened the Park Sanitorium in a building which still stands at 1450 Angus Street. The Sanitorium was sold to the Grey Nuns, a Roman Catholic sisterhood, in 1907 and the name was changed to the Regina Hospital.
Following the outbreak of the Great War, Cullum, having served as medical officer of the 95th Saskatchewan Rifles, volunteered for service as medical officer of the 28th (Northwest) Battalion CEF., and was enlisted on 24 October 1914. Being a doctor, he was engaged in the rank of captain and proceeded overseas to France with the battalion in September 1915. In March 1916 he was awarded the Croix de Guerre (CdeG(Fr)) by the President of France in "recognition of distinguished service" and in June, 1916 he was awarded the Military Cross (MC) for "conspicuous gallantry". On 27 August 1916 he ceased his attachment to the 28th Battalion as its medical officer, reverted to the rank of lieutenant, rejoined the battalion the following day as an infantry officer and was made temporary captain. He was wounded on 26 September but remained at duty. He was awarded a bar to his MC on 20 October 1916 and, in addition to that, was twice Mentioned in Dispatches (MID), was recommended for the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and had been recommended for the Victoria Cross (VC) on the two occasions on which he was awarded the MC.
On the 10 November 1916 at Noulette Wood he was severely wounded on the explosion of a German shell. He died of those wounds shortly after and was buried in the civilian cemetery at Bruay-en-Artois, France. He was predeceased by a son and was survived by his widow (Mrs. R. M. Cullum, of Regina, Saskatchewan) and a daughter.
A lake in Northern Saskatchewan has been named in his honour; his name appears on the World War I memorial in the Legislative Building grounds and on a plaque in St. Paul's Cathedral (his parish church); a small cul-de-sac in north east Regina bears his name; and his name appears frequently in the Calder history of the 28th Bn.