War in the Offing (1910 - 1913)
The Militia Unit during World War I (1914 - 1919)
Re-Organization 1920, 1925 through 1926 and 1936
The name of the 95th Regiment was officially changed and published in the Official Gazette as the 95th Saskatchewan Rifles early in 1910. Two Captains, D.T. Smith of the Northern Area and P.G. Tofft of Regina had been promoted and gazetted as Majors on July 20, 1909. In that year the following officers joined the Regiment: Captain E.G. Shannon, Lieutenant J.G. Wayne and Lieutenant R.G. Taylor. Captain E.G. Shannon was posted to 'H' Company - Prince Albert, effective from September 26, 1908. This officer came to the unit transferred from another Regiment with the rank of Captain. Lieutenants J.G. Wayne and R.G. Taylor were also posted at this time to the Prince Albert Company. When the change of name took place the locales of Company Headquarters were gazetted as follows: 'A' and ''H'' Companies at Prince Albert, 'B' Company at Moose Jaw, 'C', 'D' and 'E' Companies at Regina, 'F' and 'G' Companies at Saskatoon. Headquarters continued at Regina.
Captain S.B. Nelles, who was at the time an Inspector for the Canada Permanent Mortgage Company of Regina, joined the Regiment in May 1909. He had held this rank in another Militia Unit since March 2, 1902. During the First World War he served in the 128th Bn. C.E.F. He was appointed a brevet Lieutenant Colonel on October 3, 1916 and was Officer Commanding the 2nd Reserve Battalion of the Regina Rifle Regiment from May 20, 1926 until October 14, 1932.
Lieutenant Thomas E. Perrett of Regina obtained his appointment on November 20, 1909. At that time he was the Principal of the Regina Normal School with classrooms in the Alexandra School on Hamilton Street in Regina. This school was recently demolished to make way for the new Georgia Hotel. Mr. Perrett had previously been a Superintendent of Schools in the North West Territory Days. He was promoted to the rank of Captain on March 11, 1911 and obtained his Major's s rank on May 29, 1915. Early in 1916, having been appointed Lieutenant Colonel he organized and recruited the 68th Bn. C.E.F., going overseas with that unit at Easter time in 1916. Lieutenant Colonel Perrett was blinded in the First World War and was awarded the Order of the British Empire. He served again as Principal of the Regina Normal School for sometime following the end of the First World War.
Lieutenant Maughan McCausland was appointed to Commissioned rank on Nov. 20, 1909. He had served previously in the ranks and was the signaling Sergeant at the time when he received his appointment. In civilian life he was a barrister with the legal firm of Woods, McCausland and Turnbull in Regina. He was promoted to the rank of Captain on Oct. 20, 1915 and went overseas with the 28th (northwest) Battalion, C.E.F. as Paymaster, serving in that capacity until 1916 when he was invalided hack to Canada. He was appointed Paymaster of the South Saskatchewan Regiment on October 1, 1920 and continued in that capacity with the rank of Major until his retirement in 1935. For many years after the First World War he was one or the Law Officers in the Attorney General's Branch of the Saskatchewan Government. He was one of the first of Saskatchewan's citizens to own, drive and race a motor vehicle in this Province. Actual speeds attained at the local race track are not recorded.
During the years 1910 and 1911 there was a large influx of Junior Officers into the 95th Saskatchewan Rifles. This was partly attributed to the sabre rattling of Kaiser William of Germany. Also to the interest created in military organization as the result of the visit of Sir John French, afterwards Field Marshal Viscount French, of the Old Contemptibles. But more especially because of the phenomenal growth in population in Saskatchewan, which was taking place in such cities as Moose Jaw, Saskatoon and Prince Albert.
The following junior officers came to the Regiment during the period between January 10 and June 8, 1910: Lieutenants H.L. Jordon, J.G. Willoughby, J.H. Holmes and J.F. Clinkskill joined ''F' and 'G' Companies of Saskatoon. Lieutenants P. Gillmore, R.P. Laurie, T.J. Murray and J.H. Lindsay joined 'A' and 'H' Companies of Prince Albert. Lieutenant Clinkskill was killed in action while serving as a Captain with the 10th Battalion, C.E.F. on September 26, 1916.
The first Medical Officer of the Regiment was a Regina Doctor, E.E. Meek, of the Canadian Army Medical Corps. His appointment was gazetted as from October 9, 1909. The first Chaplain was the Reverend Canon George C. Hill (Honorary Captain) gazetted March 13, 1910. At the time of his appointment he was the Rector of St. Paul's Anglican Church (now the Pro-Cathedral for the Diocese of Qu'Appelle). The first Quartermaster of the Regiment officially gazetted as such was Honourary Lieutenant George W. Hemmans, Jr., his appointment dating from May 10, 1911. In civilian life he was, at that time, a clerk with the Confederation Life Insurance Association in Regina.
The first fully qualified Regimental Sergeant Major (Warrant Officer) was Francis E. Sissons. His appointment was gazetted as from July 18, 1911. Prior to this appointment, he had served in an acting capacity from 1908. He had previously served in the Imperial Army (including the Boer War) for 18 years and 289 days. Born in England Mar.31, 1868, R.S.M. Sissons was a clerk in the Regina Land Titles Office at the time of his entry into the 95th Saskatchewan Rifles. He was the Regimental Sergeant Major of the 28th Bn. during its organization period and was granted commissioned rank during the First World War, gazetted May 1915. A sterling disciplinarian, he retained his interest in the Army and the Militia throughout the War and for several years after-wards.