Major Joseph Graham was for many years a non-commissioned officer in the permanent forces of Canada and also served as the Supervisor of Physical Culture with the Regina Public School Board and in the Regina Normal School (Teachers' College). He was granted a commission in the 95th Saskatchewan Rifles and acted as a staff Officer in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. After the war he owned and managed the Grand Theatre on 11th Avenue for several years before his death. He was the original adjutant of the 5th Bn. C.E.F.
A.P. Linton was granted a commission in the Regiment on October 13, 1914. At that time he was assistant chief engineer in the Saskatchewan Provincial Public Works Department. He went overseas as an Officer in the 60th Bn. C.E.F. and later served in the Royal Canadian Engineers, winning the O.B.E. He served in the Militia after the War and was retired to the Reserve on November 2, 1931 with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
Donald F. Sturrock obtained his commission in the Regiment on Dec.22, 1914. At that time he was a partner in the firm of Perry and Sturrock, Real Estate and Financial agents. After serving in the Expeditionary Forces overseas he was retired to the Reserve of Officers on October 1, 1920 with the rank of Major.
.James S. Balfour was commissioned in the Regiment May 1, 1915. He enlisted in the Expeditionary Forces, went overseas and later served in the Royal. Air Force.
G. Fraser Stewart joined the Regiment and was commissioned May 22, 1915. At that time he was a law student with the City Solicitor's Department in Regina. He went overseas with the 60th Bn. C.E.F. at Easter Time in 1916 and was posted as a re-enforcement officer to the 20th Bn. serving with that unit from July 1916 until February 1919. After the war he joined the South Saskatchewan Regiment on October 1, 1920 with the rank of Captain. He served in that Unit and its successor the Regina Rifle Regiment until he was transferred to the 19th Infantry Brigade as Staff Captain on January 1, 1933. He was Brigade Major of that Unit from December 15, 1936 until shortly after World War II broke out in 1939. At that time he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force, retiring at the conclusion of that conflict with the rank of Squadron Leader. He was for many years the City Solicitor for the City of Regina.
Arthur .E. Chatwin obtained his commission in the Regiment on June 23, 1915. He served in the Artillery Corps overseas and was awarded the Military Cross. He also served during the Second World War on the Expeditionary Forces Educational Council. For many years he farmed and taught school near Pilot Butte. Later he was a School Superintendent and Principal of the School for the Blind in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Alfred Frank Mantle was the Deputy Minister of Agriculture in the Saskatchewan Civil Service when he was granted a Commission in the Regiment on July 3, 1915. He went overseas with the 68th Bn. at Easter Time in 1916. He was killed in action while serving with the 28th Bn. C.E.F. on September 26, 1916.
Edward Lyman (Hickory) Abbott was the Chief Clerk in the Attorney General's Branch of the Provincial Government when he was granted a commission in the Regiment, July 8, 1915. He went overseas with the 68th Bn. C.E.F., serving as a Captain with the 52nd Bn. C.E.F. He was killed in action while serving with that Unit having previously won the Military Cross and Bar for gallantry in the Field. 'Hickory' Abbott was a great athlete excelling in Lacrosse, Hockey, Rugby Football and Basketball. He was an outstanding member of the Regina 'Victorias' - winners of the Allan Cup. One of Saskatchewan's best loved sons, the Abbott Cup, emblematic of Western Canadian Junior Hockey championship was named in his memory.
Edwin Sneath was a law student in the firm of Gordon and Gordon. Prior to the war he had served in the Regiment as a non-commissioned officer representing the Unit at the Quebec Tercentenary Celebrations. He was granted a commission on July 15, 1915 serving overseas in the Expeditionary Forces in the Canadian Army Service Corps. He was transferred to the Reserve of Officers on April 1, 1932. Mr. Sneath has recently retired (1959) from the practice of law in the City of Regina.
Charles E. Otton was gazetted in the Regiment on July 16, 1915. He served in the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Winnipeg in the First World War from March 1916 until July 1917. He was wounded three times and was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry on the field. He served with the Camerons again in the Second World War with the rank of Major and finished his service as Lieutenant Colonel in charge of a Training Centre at Camp Shilo in Manitoba. He was one of the members of the Regina Victorias when they won the Allan Cup. He has lived in Winnipeg since the end of the 2nd World War (1945-1959).
Robert Weir was a teacher of Mathematics in the Central Collegiate Institute, Regina, when he received his commission in the Regiment on July 20, 1915. For several years prior to World War One he had been the Cadet Instructor in that School. He went overseas with the 195th (City of Regina) Battalion, C.E.F. in November, 1916 and served in the Expeditionary Force from 1916 to 1919. He returned to Canada with the rank of Major. For some time he was an Inspector. of Schools in the Department of Education and after being elected M.P. became Minister of Agriculture in the Bennett Government. He was killed in an accident while farming in the Melfort area of Saskatchewan.
George R. Whitmore was a partner in the firm of Whitmore Bros. Ltd., Coal and Wood Merchants, 1861 Scarth Street, Regina, when he received his commission in the Regiment, dated August 6, 1915. He served on the Staff as D.A.A.G. H.Q. O.M.F.C. from April 1, 1917 to May 31, 1918. He was transferred to the Reserve of Officers and appointed Honorary Lieutenant Colonel of the 12th Machine Gun Battalion, February 28, 1930. He was later made Honorary Lieutenant Colonel of the 1st Bn. Regina Rifle Regiment when the M.G. Unit was affiliated with our Regiment, December 15, 1936. He continued as Honorary Lieutenant Colonel until his death in April, 1958. He was awarded the E.D. (Efficiency Decoration) and the C.D. for long service in the Canadian Militia.
James McAra was a partner in the firm of McAra Bros. and Wallace, 1855 Scarth Street, Regina, when he received his commission on March 13, 1913 in the 95th Saskatchewan Rifles. He was appointed Quartermaster of the Regiment with the rank of Honorary Captain on July 3, 1913. He went overseas with the 28th (Northwest) Battalion in May 1915 as Major and Quartermaster and served in the Expeditionary Force in Belgium and France from September 14, 1915 to October 30, 1916. Later he returned to Canada on the Instructional Staff and was confirmed in the rank of Lieutenant Colonel on April 14, 1918. He re-entered the Militia after the war and was appointed Quartermaster of the 1st Bn. South Saskatchewan Regiment October 1, 1920, retaining that office in the 1st Bn. the Regina Rifle Regiment until April 15, 1930 when he was transferred to the 3rd Reserve Battalion as Lieutenant Colonel and from which he retired in 1932. He was several. times Mayor of the City of Regina and also a President of the Canadian Legion. He was one of the best loved of the original officers of the 28th Bn. From the records which he so painstakingly prepared and retained after the War, much historical material for an Historical outline of the 28th Bn. has been made available.
H. Ward was a law clerk in the firm of Mackenzie, Brown and Co. when he received his commission in the Regiment on December 22, 1914. He served overseas in the Expeditionary Force and was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry in the field. He served in the 12th Machine Gun Battalion with the rank of Major after the 1st World War and was transferred to the Reserve of Officers November 7, 1930.
Edwin H. Hill was the Manager of the Fraser Valley Lumber Co. in Regina when he was commissioned in the Regiment on December 22, 1914. He served in the Expeditionary Force in France and Belgium and was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry in the Field.
Harry Leonard Nowell Salmon was a correspondence clerk with the Cockshutt Plow Co. in Regina and a resident in the Y.M.C.A. when he was commissioned as provisional Lieutenant in the 95th Saskatchewan Rifles on July 20, 1915. He went overseas as a draft officer to the 32nd Reserve Battalion in England in 1916 and reached the 28th Bn. C.E.F. as a re-enforcement on July 8, 1916. Contrary to expectations he turned out to be an outstanding Junior Officer with that Unit. He was wounded twice in action and awarded the Military Cross and Bar for Gallantry in the Field. He was struck off the strength of the 28th Bn. on December 26, 1918. On April. 1, 1920 he was commissioned in the Royal Canadian Regiment of the Permanent Forces of Canada while holding the rank of Brevet Major dated June 20, 1919. He was promoted Captain in the R.C.R. April. 1, 1930. During the period 1921 to 1939, Major Salmon served as a District and General Staff Officer in Military Districts 2, 3 and 4. At the outbreak of the 2nd World War he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and posted to the command of an Infantry Battalion. In 1941 he was made Brigadier of the 7th Infantry Brigade and as such commanded the 1st Bn. the Regina Rifle Regiment, the perpetuating unit in which he had started his military career. Brigadier Salmon was in command of the 1st Canadian Division with the rank of Major General when he was killed along with members of his staff in an air accident on April 29, 1943 while flying over England on his way to Cairo, Egypt in connection with the Italian Campaign.
Lieut. R.M. (Bob) Crowe an accountant with the Woutern Trust Co. and prior to that a Bank Manager, before his enlistment in the Expeditionary Forces, was granted a commission in the 95th Saskatchewan Rifles, on December 27, 1915. He served overseas with the 46th Bn, C.E.F. and was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry In the field. He served as Adjutant of the 1st Bn. South Saskatchewan Regiment and the 1st Bn. Regina Rifle Regiment during the tenure of Commands of Lieutenant Colonel J.S. Rankin D.S.O. V.D. and Lieutenant Colonel A.G. Styles, D.S.O. V.D. He was transferred to the 3rd Reserve Battalion with the rank of Major on April 15, 1930. He served as Officer Commanding the Militia Battalion of the Regina Rifle Regiment during and immediately following the Second World War. Following the death of Lieutenant Colonel George R. Whitmore, he was appointed Honorary Lieutenant Colonel of the Regina Rifle Regiment. He was awarded the C.D. for long service in the Canadian Militia.